Friday, July 16, 2010

Gym movie

Hot - every day is very hot. The desert gets like that. So after my workout I watched another movie at the gym. I asked the man in charge what he would recommend (didn't have my glasses) and said I don't like scary movies. He said I was out of luck. Actually, he said they also have action and another word he used to imply non-clever comedies, then handed me:


Robin Hood - Men in Tights

It's Mel Brooks, of course it's funny. Stupid funny, sometimes clever funny, lots of visual gags and industry references - 12th century fox for example, and a reference to a Robin of Loxley who has an English accent. Beautiful Maid Marian, thought it was Petra Bagust in a wig for a minute. Funniest parts - the Men in Tights song, and Mel Brooks as a Rabbi.

It had a Monty Python feel about it but never attained the heights of deadpan comedy and ridiculousness that John Cleese, Michael Palin (any relation?), Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Terry Gilliam and Graham Chapman gave us. But nobody expects ...



Have a good weekend. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to anyone who might be celebrating a 50th birthday but might want to remain nameless. Sorry about missing the party. You don't look a day over 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment