Friday, July 23, 2010

Best blog ever!

No, not mine. Women please read this. Men, don't bother, you won't get it.

http://myfaultimfemale.wordpress.com/

Who hasn't been there?




The Spitfire Grill


I judged this DVD by it's cover for a while, it looked vaguely supernatural. Today I thought I would give it a chance and if it didn't engage me in the first 5 minutes I wouldn't bother with it. The first sight caught me and I watched it in one sitting. A young woman (Percy) is released from prison and goes to the small town of Gilead, Maine for a new start. Pretty country. She works in the Spitfire Grill with older woman Hannah. She does some good things, then gets suspected of a bad thing. Meanwhile who is the mysterious man in the woods and why was Percy in prison? Look out for the pinecone birds.

Mostly relatively unknown (to me anyway) actors, none of them glamorous. They looked like real people. Delightfully subtle acting but a lot of "stranger in small town" cliches. That's to be expected - I am a stranger in a small town myself and some of those cliche situations are pretty real. This movie gives rednecks a bad name - oops, too late, they are quite capable of doing that for themselves.

I had to have English subtitles to help me decipher some of the dialogue, regional accents you know. I liked this movie. Pretty much a chick flick.




Continues hot, getting hotter. No respite until September apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment