Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Love stories

I've been a bit busy, getting a job. The job is in the town where the dvd rental store is, so I have a whole new world of cinematic entertainment open to me, but rather less time to watch movies. I took the opportunity to get some chick flicks.



Last Chance Harvey


A small movie, in the intimate, understated English style. How I miss my English movies, those subtle, clever, wryly humorous, minutely observed and beautifully lit (and acted) gems that do not rely on big scenes, special effects and improbably beautiful people. These are actors brought up in the tradition of stage and rep and Shakespeare. At the risk of sounding like a luvvie, I love them all.

Back to Harvey: he is an American (Dustin Hoffman) who goes to England for his daughter's wedding. His position as father of the bride has been somewhat usurped by his ex-wife's new husband, played by James Brolin. He almost meets single Kate (Emma Thompson) several times, then their paths do actually cross and they start a relationship. Sort of. He is an up front American who comes across as a crazed stalker in the light of Kate's very English reticence, diffidence and inability to say "F*** off, crazed stalker". Too polite you know.

No beautiful people in this movie (sorry Emma), but some fairly realistic characters and an appealing wistfulness. Yes, old people do fall in love, I know. The movie is set in London, mostly on the South Bank, my old stamping grounds, so there was plenty of "Been there, done that". Can anyone tell me where those fountains are, they must be new.




Valentine's Day


Possibly an American remake of the delightful English movie "Love Actually". Inter-related love stories centering around LA florist Ashton Kutcher. Rather nice. Lots of famous faces including a couple of Jessicas, a very dippy Taylor Swift, the wonderful as always Shirley Maclaine, and a small part for acting genius Kathy Bates. Is she the best American actor of our lifetime? She would be right up there in the top two I'd say.

I liked this movie. Total chick flick. There is a nice child in it and some good bits - the "waitress" explaining the "special" to philandering Patrick Dempsey, Jennifer Garner attacking the pinata, and Ashton Kutcher dropping flowers in the canal. Really quite watchable and the flowers are nice.




My two kittens have been helping me type, now they are sitting beside me washing each other's faces. Cute. My Marley is still making his presence felt in the house from which he has sadly departed. They started to clean the cat rub marks off the door frames but kept some as a reminder. Too soon to let him go completely. He was more than just a cat. It is hard to believe his constant presence is no more. We will always remember him.

No comments:

Post a Comment