Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Eclectic selection

You may think I have an odd list of movies - there's a reason. I live in a very small town, probably more of a hamlet than a town, quite a distance from anywhere so the dvd store is not always an option. The local library, which has been a lifesaver for me, has some videos, mostly donated, so I have an eclectic selection to choose from. Hence today's first pick:


Mrs Winterbourne

This is a movie from 1996 starring Ricki Lake, Shirley MacLaine, Brendan Fraser and Miguel Sandoval. It's case of mistaken identity, waiting too long to tell the truth, with some Boston scenery and a little Pygmalion thrown in. Probably a chick flick, it has babies and weddings, but there is a satisfying murder as well. Satisfying in that it contributes to the happy ending. It's a pizza and girlfriends movie, light and funny, with some character development and a few morals. Shirley MacLaine communicates her thoughts so well, Ricki Lake can act, Brendan Fraser is always a delight, and Miguel Sandoval keeps them all in line.


Four Weddings and a Funeral

Hugh Grant - need I say more? I got this movie out because I was looking for a hat that I might need for a forthcoming wedding, and I remembered Andie MacDowell's great black hat from this movie. It didn't disappoint (the hat or the movie). Upper class Britons (some are Scottish) and a couple of Americans attend a series of weddings and a funeral among their group of friends. In the process they maintain their stiff upper lips and learn about relationships and love. An over-the-top Simon Callow lends colour to this fairly well-known (at least in England) group of actors. Did anyone see him as Tom Chance back in the 80's? That was a good series. Outsider (socially) Scarlett gets her man, Charles settles down, Duckface has a lucky escape, the aristocracy continue to interbreed and it's happy ever after.


Alice in Wonderland

The Tim Burton version. If ever an author and a director were made for each other it is Lewis Carroll (yes, I know that is a pen name) and Tim Burton. Complementary imaginations. I can't review this with any objectivity as Alice is my favourite (semi-) fictional character and I know the books almost by heart. Burton does not follow the stories slavishly but it's recognisable. The casting was inspired, even the peculiar Anne Hathaway as the white queen. I loved Tweedledee and Tweedledum - Little Britain's Matt Lucas (the only gay in the village). Despite my antipathy towards animated and CG movies, I liked Burton's creatures especially the jabberwocky which was appropriately terrifying, given it's build-up in the book. Alice did the job well. Much older than in the book, but with the original character's "attitude". Alice doesn't take things lying down. Of course I enjoyed it and BH kindly accompanied me.


Another stray cat is hanging around. Due to the remarkable resemblance I think he may be a Na'vi cat. He is very like them, the colour (he's blue-grey), the flat nose, the eyes and the hissing and spitting.

Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment