Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Didn't quite work

Bought some movies this time.



For your consideration


A rather odd movie, bought solely because of the pic of Ricky Gervais on the front of the box. I can only describe it as one of those charming, quirky English movies but made by Americans, with mostly American actors. It didn't quite work.

A simple idea, based on Oscar speculation in Hollywood. Quite amusing, and some odd characters who could have been funny if maybe they were developed more, or less. I don't know, it just didn't get off the ground.

Lots of famous faces - the mother from Home Alone (love her transformation), the sleazy little guy who is NOT a PhD in Big Bang, a face from The Office, Jane Lynch looking very glam, the dad from American Pie, Stiffler's Mom! and an apparently dazed and bewildered Parker Posey. Ricky Gervais of course and best of all - the weather girl with the monkey. Who says ventriloquism is dead (without moving their lips).

Watchable, sort of funny, sort of pathetic. At the end we actually said that it was an odd movie. It was very inexpensive so that's okay.




The Tourist


Yes, again. I think I liked it better this time. Funny, light, pretty, a kind of blonde bimbo of a movie. Still no chemistry and Johnny Depp is still plain, but funny. I feel there was a marked lack of depth in this movie, it skimmed the surface of what could have been a more involving story. Not brain surgery, but entertaining.




The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency


I really want to see this movie but my local doesn't have it. Hmm, written by a Scot, set in Botswana, I wonder why. I have enjoyed this series by Alexander McCall Smith, I found the characters engaging and I want to see how they are portrayed in the movie.

Precious Ramotswe sets up a detective agency, takes on an assistant, they solve mysteries and problems in a very gentle, human way. Warmth, patience and a down to earth wisdom pervade these stories. A slower pace of life and a pleasantly old-fashioned attitude provide a calm oasis for the reader. I have read the whole series and will continue with each new one. Keep writing sir.




Snow and hail a couple of days ago, hot and sunny now.

No comments:

Post a Comment