Sunday, January 30, 2011

Great performances

I watched a movie at the gym today. This was the first title I could identify without my glasses.



Precious


A startlingly good movie with a harrowing story. Disadvantaged (in many ways) teenager Precious gets sent to an alternative school and her life changes. Precious is overweight, almost illiterate, pregnant, it gets way worse than that. Amazing performances. So amazing I did not recognise the actors. Mo'Nique is positively evil as the mother, but with a weird, off-base vulnerability, totally appropriate to the story. Mariah Carey plays Mrs Weiss, and does it well, almost without make-up. Lenny Kravitz is a male nurse. I didn't recognise them,
as I was so convinced and captivated by their characters. Gabourey Sidibe is a complete novice. She plays Precious so well. I imagine she has a solid future as an actor.

This is a very good movie full of excellent performances. Worth watching and somehow uplifting despite the subject matter.




Winter continues, but not particularly cold at present. Little cat has improved.



No comments:

Post a Comment